Wednesday, May 4, 2011

To blog or not to blog?

I haven't posted anything for a few days now because I'm actually considering stopping my blog.  I'm on the fence about it still.  I enjoy blogging and sharing pictures and stories with everyone (and having a record of our life "as it is" to look back on), but I've found that it creates a bit of a problem - when I actually talk to people in real life, they've already heard all my stories.  I start to tell someone about something that happened about me and they reply, "oh yeah, I read about it on your blog."  Then I don't know if I should continue talking about it, or if that would just be redundant.  Like I said, I enjoy blogging, but I don't want it to take away from my real-life interactions, which I think are far more important.  Any thoughts or advice?

3 comments:

Kristin said...

That is a very good point. I thought you were going to say how much time blogging takes up. It has been nice, tho, to get a glimpse of your day-to-day activities ;)

Is there an aspect or angle to your life you could blog about that would still allow you to keep some of your stories and other happenings for those real-life interactions...?

Melissa said...

I agree with Kristin, is there a way to blog maybe less frequently and keep some of the conversational stuff out?

I love your blog and think you should keep it, but that's me:)

Andrea said...

Every blogger goes through the question of whether to continue blogging or not. For various reasons. Like the one you are talking about, or the privacy issue, or the "is it worth it if nobody is commenting" issue. Whatever it is.

So you are not alone in the struggle.

Different people blog for different reasons and in different styles. Someone who lives far away from family, for example, uses it to update family on kid's milestones, pictures and videos, etc. Some people use it for conversational day-to-day happenings in their life to document. Others use it to explore topics they think about in their head and want to see what other people think about it.

You are just beginning as a blogger and I would encourage you to keep at it until you find the niche you are most comfortable in. Try different things; different types of posts and see what seems to be the best fit for you.