Friday, May 6, 2011

To blog or not to blog: part II

Thanks for the feedback on my post about whether I should keep blogging.  I started this blog mostly just to document our life as it is - to share pictures and record the funny little stories and adventures we have that are too quickly forgotten if we're not careful.  I'm a fairly private person, so I didn't really intend for this to be a place for me to spill my deepest, darkest thoughts and feelings, but I guess it could happen from time to time.  Also, I was a little worried that I might not have that many deep thoughts that would be worth sharing, as often my mind is most preoccupied with things like "what's for dinner" or "are there any clean diapers" (sad, but true).  I've tried to write a few posts are about stuff I've been thinking about, but I find they take a lot more time to compose (I've got a few half-written drafts waiting to be finished and posted), as it tends to be more difficult to get those thoughts down into words, at least compared to writing about day-to-day stuff.

I didn't anticipate, though, that in writing this blog I would be "spoiling" my own stories for when I wanted to tell them in person.  However, I'm not going to throw in the towel.  I just may not blog as often, or perhaps only blog about something after I've had a chance to tell the story in person a few times.  I think I was a bit over-zealous at first, trying to blog every day, because I wanted to have lots of interesting stuff on my blog to keep readers coming back (even though I said this was mostly just for me, let's be honest - it's nice to have other people read and comment).  I'm sure though, that people will still come back, even there's only a new post every other day or a few times a week.  I may also try to do different kinds of posts from time to time (about stuff other than the kids!), although I think that will be a bit of a challenge for me.  But it's probably a good challenge - it'll keep my mind from turning into a wad of Play Doh!  And perhaps, over time, I'll become more accustomed to hearing "I read that on your blog" and it won't feel so weird. :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Glad you're keeping it up, Pam! Just think about the wonderful benefits of blogging...how you can get to know someone better through it (prime example: you and me!!).

Also, I was thinking the other day of suggesting to you to start doing posts like 'wordless wednesday' and 'thankful thursday' posts. Not that you have to link up with any blogs (I have stopped doing that, but still just using the ideas of the posts), but just to get more motivation about things to post about.

Melissa said...

Glad your still blogging, I would have missed your blog for sure:)