Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Teething

Over the weekend Emmett got a new tooth.  This is tooth #9 for him.  And he's about 2 weeks away from being 18 months old.  For those of you who don't know, this is pretty slow for teeth to come in (although I don't think it's anything to be concerned about yet - I guess I'll ask the Dr. when we go for Emmett's 18m check-up soon).  When Annika was this age, she had 12 teeth (6 on top, 6 on bottom) and got her 4 cuspids within the next month or so (yes, I compare my children and their milestones all the time - I'm not ashamed to admit it).  Emmett has 6 teeth on top and only 3 on the bottom (his 2 front teeth, plus the one molar that just broke through).  At this rate he'll be in kindergarten when he gets his 2 year old molars!

The one good thing about Emmett's teeth coming in is that while they may be slow, it has been relatively easy (knock on wood that I didn't just jinx that!).  I've heard that late teething equals easier teething, but I think his teething necklace may also have made a difference (although it's hard to say for sure).  You may recall that I won an amber teething necklace last year and Emmett has worn it almost every day (except for naps and night-time) since then and teething seems to be much easier for him than for Annika.  Definitely a lot fewer disturbed nights and doses of Tylenol!  So whether it's the necklace, or just Emmett, I can't really say, but I figure it doesn't hurt to keep the necklace on him.  And he's so funny about it - when I forget to put it on him, he gestures to his neck or looks down his shirt like he's looking for it.  He also quite enjoys playing with Annika's dress-up necklaces (and earrings!), since he doesn't know yet that necklaces aren't for boys! :)


Silly boy!

2 comments:

Gin said...

I love the photo although, I think he needs to work at accessorizing!! I don't think those earrings go with that necklace!!

Whether it's just Emmett or the necklace, it's working and that's the important part!!

Melissa said...

I am a huge believer in the amber, Sydney and i both have necklaces we never take off, I also have another one all ready for the little one when he arrives:) Amber rocks!