Monday, June 20, 2011

Healthier eating monday: a little less white

Last week's recap:
  1. No juice boxes: We were camping this past weekend, so I made an exception and Annika had 2 juice boxes.  But I'm okay with her having them for special occasions like that, it's just in everyday life that I want to avoid them if possible.
  2. At least 1 homemade baked item: check! I made apple struesel muffins.  I wanted to share a picture with you, but they didn't turn out very good-looking, although they were still quite tasty.
  3. Limit sugary cereals at breakfast to twice a week: check!  Annika had Froot Loops once last week.  I'm finding goal #2 and this goal seem to go together.  If I've made something yummy that Annika can eat for breakfast (banana bread, muffins) then she doesn't even ask for the cereals.
  4. Have fish for supper once a week: check! We had cod for supper on Wednesday (it's becoming our "fish night").  I did it in the oven with a bit of dill and garlic, but not enough I guess, since it was kind of bland.  It was also kind of rubbery, so I guess I overcooked it.  Still getting the hang of cooking fish.  I need to find some good recipes because I'm just kind of making it up as I go along.
  5. Have a serving of vegetables at lunch: check!  Well, we at least had some vegetables, maybe not a full serving though.
  6. Drink at least 500 mL of water a day (outside of mealtimes): I did good with this during the week, but not on the weekend while camping.  Then I drank juice and pop. :S
  7. Drink only 2 cups (500 mL) of milk a day: check!
My goal for this week is a little vague, but it's going to be a tough one for me, so perhaps it will be easier to do if I don't make it too rigid.  I'd like to start cutting back on the amount of "white" things we have (like flour, breads & buns, pasta) and incorporate more whole wheat or whole grains.  I thought about including white sugar with this, but that's a bit too much for right now.  So far I think we're doing not bad with the "white stuff."  We only eat whole wheat bread, and I've started incorporating some whole wheat flour into my baking (usually I'll do half and half with regular flour).  I used to buy whole wheat pasta and mix it together with regular pasta, but I haven't done that for a while.  I should start doing that again.  This is going to be hard for me because I absolutely love white stuff.  When I was pregnant with Annika, I craved French bread.  With Emmett, it was fresh baked white buns.  I couldn't get enough.  However, Canada's food guide recommends that at least half your grain products in a day should be whole grains, so at least I don't need to give up the white completely!  This whole "healthier eating" process is about making changes a little at a time, so even if I can just make a few small changes, it will be a good start.

No comments: