Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lent: week 6

Almost to the end of Lent, and I'm so glad that I've taken this time to declutter and organize, even though it hasn't always been easy, and I've still got lots left to do!  However, I think I've come a long way with our existing clutter, and I'm really getting better at keeping new clutter at bay.  Having a clean(er) and (more) organized house not only looks better, but it also makes me feel better - it's much easier to relax and enjoy our space when it's not a total disaster.

This past week I worked on our back closet and our walk-in closet upstairs.  Here's the before pictures of the back closet (it's such a narrow space I couldn't get it all in once picture):


What a mess.  This closet is pretty much a dumping space for everything when we come in, or for things that need to go out.  There's lots of space, but it wasn't being used very well.  The before picture was taken on March 3rd.  Here's the closet yesterday:


The winter stuff hasn't been totally put away yet, because the weather can't quite make up it's mind yet.  However, my goal for this closet, with all its space, is that we'll be able to keep stuff for all seasons in there, rather than putting stuff away in the basement.  So I moved the winter jackets to a less prominent spot, put most of the winter hats, mitts, etc away in one of the brown storage bins in the top cubbies (had to keep a few pairs out for those chilly mornings), and put all the winter boots on top of the cubby unit (which Carey built himself - pretty nice, eh?).  The closet is still a work in progress, but I crossed it off the list, since most of the decluttering has been completed.  Carey still needs to finish up the drawers in the little bench, I need to replace the piece of old carpet with an actual boot tray, and I'd like to add some hooks somewhere for the kids to hang up their jackets (haven't quite decided where yet).  I'd also like to label the brown bins (one for winter things, one for summer, and one for miscellaneous), but I'm not sure how to do that yet (maybe a stencil and some fabric paint?).

Here's my list:
  • Recipe binder
  • Office
    • Kids' craft stuff
    • Drawers
    • Filing cabinet
    • Bookshelf
  • Laundry room
  • Email inbox
  • Annika's closet
  • Emmett's closet
  • Our closet
  • Our bathroom
  • Kids' bathroom
  • Main floor bathroom
  • Front closet
  • Back closet
  • Upstairs storage closet
  • Kitchen cabinets/drawers
  • Pantry
  • Fridge
  • Freezer
  • PVR
  • Kids' toys
  • Guitar music binder
  • Sewing stuff
Still lots to do, but also lots completed!

No comments: