Thursday, November 21, 2013

Slow cooker meal of the week: home-style beef

Lately I've been trying to use my slow cooker at least once a week and this evening I tried out a new recipe - "home-style beef."  You can find the recipe in the Kraft What's Cooking magazine or online here (if you check out the recipe, take note of the recommendation to serve with "hot" mashed potatoes - as opposed to the ice cold mashed potatoes that most people usually serve up???).

Annika helped me "star" the recipes I wanted to make.

Here are our reviews:

Me - I thought it was really good.  It smelled A-MAY-ZING while it was cooking.  I never used to be a fan of onions, but something changed when I was pregnant with Emmett and now I really enjoy them (although not raw - still can't do raw onions).  The rest of the family isn't really into onions, so I only added one, instead of the four called for in the recipe.  The meat was really tender and the sauce had a good flavor.
Carey - liked it, but thought that it smelled better than it actually tasted.  Carey is not a big fan of onions, but actually ate some and thought they were okay (since they basically just tasted like the sauce after cooking all day).
Annika - didn't really like any of it (but did try it).
Emmett - liked the meat and the sauce, but not really the onions.  He had seconds of meat.

Overall verdict: I would make this again, but it probably won't become part of our regular rotation.

No comments: