Saturday, April 6, 2013

What a week

Yikes.

After Emmett was finished with his illness on Wednesday, he passed it along to me (or some version of it) and I spent Thursday on the couch (or in the bathroom).  It was not pretty.  Thankfully it was a lot shorter-lived than Emmett's version, and it seems to only have been a one-day thing (fingers crossed it's all done now).  Unfortunately Thursday was the kids' first day of swimming lessons.  Carey took Annika for her lesson, but Emmett stayed home with me (he's in the parent/baby class, so one of us has to go in with him).  Then the 3 of them went to my in-laws for supper and I stayed home and ate saltines and watched TV reruns till they came home.  There's never a good time to get sick, but this really wasn't a good time for me, since my Y Neighbours fundraising sale was coming up on Saturday.  Thankfully I already had done my baking for the bake sale, and all my stuff for my table was already sorted and priced.

On Friday I disinfected light switches, door handles and remotes, cleaned bathrooms and washed all the towels (again) in the hope of ridding our house of all the yucky germs.  I wasn't totally back to full-strength, but I was feeling a lot better.

This morning was the sale.  I was sharing a table with our YN group donations table, and I was able to get rid of a lot of stuff (mostly clothes).  It was a long morning, but I felt okay once I got going.  I found a few "new-to-us" things for the kids too.  The shoes are actually brand-new, but it will be a year or two till they fit Annika.  I really liked the dress, but I was quite disappointed when I got it home and removed the price sticker to find a stain underneath. :(  That's just shady dealings, if you ask me.  It's fine if something has a stain, but at least be honest about it (and then price accordingly).  Emmett loved his new boots and new shirt.  He currently has an orange, long-sleeved shirt that is his absolute favorite (he asks to wear it as soon as it's through the laundry), but he's almost outgrown it (and hopefully sometime soon we won't be wearing long sleeves anymore!), so when I saw this one, I knew that I had to get it.

Looking ahead we've got a busy week coming up.  Tomorrow we have an extended-family Easter gathering.  On Monday evening I'm helping host a bridal shower (I'm doing the games - I love doing shower games).  Thursday is swimming and our first birthday dinner (that's right - it's almost mine and Annika's birthdays!).  Friday I'll be bringing snack to preschool for Annika's birthday.  I'm planning to make these "pink lemonade" cupcakes for her birthday party on Saturday, but for school we're not allowed to bring in any home-baked treats (too many allergies) so I'll be making some rainbow fruit kabobs.  Saturday is Annika's birthday and we're having her party at the children's museum, and then supper with just our family at home (she's requested perogies and farmer sausage, which is also what I made for her 2nd birthday supper - some things don't change!).  Sunday is my birthday, and Carey and I are planning on going to Smoke's Poutinerie for supper to celebrate.  Then one more birthday supper the following week (trying to break up the celebrations a bit this year).  Let's hope we all stay healthy for all this!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Glad everyone's feeling better these days and you could enjoy all birthday festivities in full strength!

The fruit kabobs that you showed on Facebook looked really pretty but I think it's so disappointing how things are going down these days with everyone's allergies. I personally think it's from everyone being so overly cautious and paranoid about everything. I wish the "good ol' days" when we were growing up. Life just seemed so much simpler (and normal) back then. :)