Monday, April 18, 2011

A week of celebrating

Well, we have come to the end of our week of birthday celebrations.  It's been a good week, but very busy, and I'll be glad to get back to our regular routine (at least for a few days until Easter!).  So here's what we've been up to...

Wednesday, April 13 - Annika's birthday

We went shopping in the morning, to pick up a few things for Annika's party on the weekend, and an ice cream cake for the evening.  I made Annika a special birthday lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches, pickles and chips (her request).  While we were eating, I asked her if this was a yummy lunch, and she replied "it's a healthy lunch!"  I guess we'll need to have a chat about what the word "healthy" means. :P  When Carey got home we gave Annika her present - a trike.  She was very excited about it.  Then we went to Carey's parents' place for supper to celebrate both Annika's and my birthdays.  Supper was delicious, but right around dessert time Emmett decided to start crying, and didn't stop until we left.  So that was a bit unfortunate, but other than that it was a good time.

Thursday, April 14 - My birthday
Even though this was "my day", it was still mostly about Annika.  I took her to her first swimming lesson in the morning (Emmett stayed with Carey's mom).  We went to Perkin's for lunch with my mom, Carey's mom (and Emmett) and my 2 sisters-in-law.  After a bit of down time in the afternoon (during which I was cleaning up and getting things ready for Annika's party), we had a quick supper and were off to Annika's first ballet class.  Emmett stayed home with my mom, as Carey had worship team practice that evening.  I had considered going out after ballet class (my book club was meeting, and I wanted to go even though I hadn't read the book), but I was so beat that I ended up just vegging out after putting Annika to bed.  Carey came home from practice with 2 surprises for me - some beautiful flowers, and a Blizzard (courtesy of friends of ours).  I had bought my own birthday present earlier (a great deal on eyelash extentions), so I wasn't expecting anything else.  It was a nice end to the day.

Friday, April 15

We decorated Annika's birthday cake in the morning, and spent the rest of the day just getting things ready for her party on Saturday.  I decided that in the future I would try to have her birthday party on or before her birthday (rather than after), so that I could just relax on my birthday (and the days after) and not have to worry about it.  By evening we dropped the kids off at Carey's parents' place and we went out for dinner at Hu's on First, just the 2 of us.  It was a very delicious dinner, but a little spicier than I was expecting (I'm quite a wuss when it comes to spicy food).  We used our WagJag voucher, so it was a good deal. :)

Saturday, April 16 - Annika's birthday party

Annika was up bright and early -- at 6am!!  We sent her back to her room for a while but we were all up by about 7.  Her party didn't start until 11, and I had a long list of things to get ready before then, so it was probably good that we were up early.  We had invited 2 families to come, and unfortunately one of the families couldn't make it due to sick kids.  So it ended up being quite a small party, with only one little friend for Annika.  I don't think she really cared, though, and the girls had a great time playing together.  We just ended up with lots of extra food!  Annika got some lovely homemade gifts, as well as a jewellery-making set that she absolutely loves.  Carey and I gave her Shrek 3 (she loves Shrek - it was the theme of the party), but after watching it with her that afternoon, I don't think we'll watch it too often, at least not right now.  There's a lot more fighting and stuff in it than I remembered.  By evening we went to church for a worship night, but came home fairly early, as we were quite tired.

Sunday, April 17

One last day of celebrating.  We went to my parents' place for a birthday/Easter lunch after church.  We came home for a little quiet time in the afternoon, and then my parents came over to stay with the kids, while Carey and I went out with friends for supper, to celebrate a different friend's birthday.  It was a good time - it had been quite a while since Carey and I had been out with friends (without kids!), so it was good to get out.

So that was our week!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That was certainly one busy week!! So glad you guys made time (and CHANGED your plans!) to join us for Les' birthday dinner!