Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Phoenix vacation: part 3

Monday, March 4
Carey and I took the kids to the local YMCA to go swimming (no pool at the house, and the community pool was closed).  It was chilly in the pool (there had been a swim meet there over the weekend, so the water was cooler than normal) so we didn't stay long.  We had a quiet afternoon at home and in the evening Carey, my dad and I went to a Phoenix Coyotes game.  They were playing the Anaheim Ducks, so we got to see Teemu Selanne (a former Jet) play.  Coyotes won in a shoot-out.

Annika had fun swimming, Emmett was a little hesitant about the water.

Emmett and his menagerie.  The little striped thing by his face is an owl, which he got from the Phoenix Children's Museum.  The rest came along from home.

Yup, this is the life.

Annika liked to play "dentist" in the zero-gravity lawn chairs.

This picture was for Emmett - he's obsessed with Zambonis.

Tuesday, March 5
We spent the day at the Phoenix Zoo.  We stopped for ice cream on the way home (of course!).  For supper, we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows in the backyard.

Of course, first thing we had to do was go on the merry-go-round.  This one we only went on twice.


The petting zoo (which consisted of only goats).  Annika didn't want to pet them.  And yes, Emmett is wearing his sunglasses upside down.  He likes them that way.

Playing in the Little People farm playground (notice the blue fabric?  Almost every playground we went to had some kind of overhead shade.  Smart.)

Quite literally, the tortoise and the hare.  Not sure if the bunny was really supposed to be in there.

Watching the giraffes.

The zoo was so large we took a train ride to see some of the parts that were too far for the kids to walk.  Emmett fell asleep on the train.

Roasting hot dogs for supper.

Annika loves roasting marshmallows.  They're usually barely warmed, though, when she says they're done.

C'mon Annika!  Time for bed!!  (The kids shared a room, and it actually worked pretty well).

Wednesday, March 6
Time to go home, boo hoo hoo.   Our flight wasn't until later in the day, so we had plenty of time to pack up and go to the park one last time.  Around 2:00 we headed to the airport.  Our flight from Phoenix to Denver was slightly delayed, so we didn't have much time in Denver - just enough time to go the bathroom and find our next gate.  On the flight home, both kids fell asleep and it was pretty late by the time we got home.

Here comes the train!

One last swing

Thank Mom and Dad for a wonderful vacation!!

Killing time at the Phoenix airport

One tired little traveler

So, that was our vacation!  Click here if you missed part 1 or part 2.


Andrea said...

Looks like a great time!

Gin said...

That looked like you had a relaxing time and fun.