Thursday, March 28, 2013

Paska

I attempted something new today - baking Paska buns (or Easter buns).  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's a sweet, citrus-y bread or bun, topped with icing and sprinkles, made at Easter time.  I found the recipe at Mennonite Girls Can Cook and figured I should give it a shot.  I love Paska - it's been a part of Easter for me for as long as I can remember - but I've never made it myself.  I've never even baked with yeast before, but I figured that given my Mennonite heritage, I must have the bun-baking skill deep down inside me somewhere.  And if things didn't go well, then I'd just add a little more icing and sprinkles to them.  (hmmm, I wonder if that's why the icing and sprinkles are there in the first place?  Did someone long time ago burn a batch and needed a way to cover it up???).

After the first rise

Baking

They got a little dark, but they're still nice and soft inside

YUM!  (Almost) just like Grandma used to make

They got a little dark on the tops, but Annika and I taste-tested one, and they taste delicious.  I got the seal of approval from Annika (she said she was definitely going to eat all her supper tonight, so that she could have one for dessert). :)  Maybe now I'll have to practice baking regular buns, so I can get the Paska perfect for next Easter.

No comments: