Thursday, March 8, 2012

Yummy cheeseburger pasta

Last night I made this delicious cheeseburger pasta and even the kids ate it (a small miracle)!!  I found the recipe on this website, but it's originally from the Taste of Home website.  I recommend you give it a try - it's simple to make and so good!  It really tastes like a burger (at least as much as something that's not a burger can taste like a burger!).


Family Favorite Cheeseburger Pasta

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta (all I had was regular macaroni, so I used that)
  • 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes (I used crushed tomatoes, so there wouldn't be big chunks of tomatoes - I'm not a huge tomato fan.  It was also nice and saucy with the crushed tomatoes).
  • 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (I didn't know what the difference between steak seasoning and seasoned salt was, so I just used Hy's seasoning salt for both)
  • 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I probably used more than this - we like cheese)
  • Chopped green onions, optional (I don't like green onions, so I didn't include these)

Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain pasta; add to meat mixture.
  2. Stir in the tomatoes, relish, mustard, ketchup, steak seasoning and seasoned salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I think I could make this!

pam said...

Trust me - if I can make it, anyone can!!

Kristin said...

I DID make it for supper tonight. I used ground turkey instead of the ground beef, and didn't put in any type of onion. Another modification to the recipe, I didn't have enough dill relish, so I chopped up a dill pickle. I think I should have only used half the pickle because the dish was very pickle-y. But everyone ate it up ;)

Because this recipe was easy to put together [it went together VERY quickly since the ground turkey was already cooked] I'll definitely be trying this again, but with less pickle.