Friday, January 20, 2012

Rookie mistake

I made a rookie parenting mistake yesterday.  I should've known better.  I should know this by now...

Never, EVER, brag about how well your child sleeps. 
They will inevitably have a terrible night after that.

Yup, yesterday I wrote about how Emmett hasn't had that many bad nights, and sure enough, he had a terrible night last night.  I'm not sure how he knew what I wrote (I'm guessing maybe his Fisher Price aquarium/music player in his crib picks up a wi-fi signal and he can check the internet through that :P), but he knew. 

I woke up around 3:30 to go to the bathroom.  This is nothing unusual - since being pregnant and then having to get up with little babies, I seem to have lost the ability to sleep through the night.  Most nights I can fall back to sleep pretty quickly, but last night I tossed and turned for a while.  Then Emmett started crying around 4:15.  I let him cry for a few minutes before going to check on him.  He felt a bit warm, so I took his temp and gave him some Tylenol.  I rocked him back to sleep and I was back in my bed by around 4:35.  Not bad.  But just as I was finally drifting off, he woke up again at 5:00.  This time he cried for a few minutes and went back to sleep on his own (I didn't have to get up, yay).  Again, almost back to sleep, and then he's crying again at 5:30.  This time I had to get up again.  I finally got him settled down and headed back to bed just in time to hear Carey's alarm going off, shortly after 6:00.  I think I finally fell asleep sometime after Carey left around 6:40.  Then Emmett woke up again at 7:00.  Luckily he went back to sleep after a few minutes (and on his own), and I got to sleep until 7:30, when my alarm went off.  I dragged my butt into the shower, and by 8:00 both the kids were awake and ready for the day (but no one was terribly happy about it - I think Emmett's crying must've disturbed Annika as well).

So now Annika is at Grandma's for the morning, and I was hoping Emmett would have a little morning nap (we got rid of morning naps this week because it was messing up his afternoon nap, but I figured he might need one today), but I can still hear him chatting in his crib.  Probably checking Facebook on his aquarium. :P  I'm looking forward to this afternoon when Annika will be at school and Emmett will be at Grandma's.  I was planning to do a bunch of errands, but now I think the number one priority will be a nap!  Can't wait for that blissful silence.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

It sounds like you need to remove that Facebook-accessing acquarium from his crib. :)