Here's a few pics of my handiwork.
All finished! It's about 15 feet long, so I didn't try to take a picture of it all stretched out. I turned the edges and zig-zagged them to keep them from fraying. I cut the fabric so it tapered on the ends, so there would be less bulk hanging down after it was tied. I also sewed on a little tag to mark the middle (makes it easier to tie), and I made a matching drawstring bag.
Ready to be thrown into the beach bag!
Close up of my middle marker. No mistaking this beauty for a store-bought version. :) (as if my craftsmanship didn't give it away! I need more sewing practice!!).
I'm very happy with my finished product, and actually quite proud of myself for making it instead of buying it.